SQL> startup nomount pfile=initSTBY.ora
But it refused to come up, with the following error:
ORA-00304: requested INSTANCE_NUMBER is busy
Alert log showed:
USER (ospid: 14210): terminating the instance due to error 304
Instance terminated by USER, pid = 14210
This was highly unusual. The primary and standby both were non-RAC; there was no instance number concept in a non-RAC database. By the way, the RAC instance on that server (or on the server n1) was not running; so there was no question of any conflict with the RAC instances either. The primary database was called PRIM while the standby was called STBY - eliminating the possibility of an instance name clash as well. And this error came while merely trying to start the instance, not even while mounting - eliminating the standby controlfile as a cause.
The error 304 showed:
00304, 00000, "requested INSTANCE_NUMBER is busy"
// *Cause: An instance tried to start by using a value of the
// initialization parameter INSTANCE_NUMBER that is already in use.
// *Action: Either
// a) specify another INSTANCE_NUMBER,
// b) shut down the running instance with this number
// c) wait for instance recovery to complete on the instance with
// this number.
Needless to say, being for a non-RAC database there was no "instance_number" parameter in the initialization parameter file of primary or the standby. So, the suggestions for the resolution seemed odd. MetaLink provided no help. All the ORA-304 errors were related to RAC with the instance_number mismatch.
As it always happens, it fell on my lap at this time. With just days to go live, I had to find a solution quickly. Long hours of troubleshooting, tracing the processes and examination of occasional trace files did not yield any clue. All the clue seemed to point to RAC, which this database was not. The Oracle Home was a RAC home, which meant the oracle binary was linked with the "rac" option.
So, the next logical step was to install a new Oracle Home without the rac option. After doing so, I tried to bring up the instance, using the new ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable; but, alas, the same error popped up.
Just to eliminate the possibility of some unknown bug, I decided to put an instance_number parameter, setting it to "1", from the default "0". The same error. I changed it to "2", again, the result was the same error.
Although this didn't help, at least it gave a clue that the error was not related to instance_number. The error message was clearly wrong. With this in mind, I went back to the basics. I went through the alert log with a fine toothed comb, scanning and analyzing each line.
The following line drew my attention:
DB_UNQIUE_NAME STBY is not in the Data Guard configuration
This was odd; the db_unique_name STBY was not defined in DG configuration. [BTW, note the spelling of "unique" in the message above. That is not what I typed; it was a copy and paste from the actual message in the alert log. Someone in Oracle Development should really pay atytention to typos in messages. This is clearly more than a nuisance; what if some process scans for db_unique_name related errors? It will not find the message at all!]
Checking the dg configuration, I found that the DBA has correctly defined the primary and standby names. In any case, Data Guard has not been started yet; this is merely at the instance startup - why is it complaining for data guard configuration at this time.
Perplexed, I resorted to a different approach. I renamed the pfile and all other relevant files. Then I built the standby myself, from scratch - using the same names - PRIM and STBY. And this time, everything worked fine. The instance STBY did come up.
While this solvbed the urgency problem, everyone, inclduing myself, wanted to know what the issue was in the earlier case where the DBA had failed to bring up the instance. To get the answer, I compared the files I created with the DBA created when tried and failed. Voila! The cause was immediately clear - the DBA forgot to put a vital parameter in the pfile of the standby instance:
db_unique_name = 'STBY'
This parameter was absent; so it took the default value as the db_name, which was "PRIM". This caused the instance to fail with a seemingly unrelated message - "ORA-304 Instance_number is busy"!
- In Oracle, most errors are obvious; but some are not. So, do not assume the error message is accurate. If all logic fails, assume the error messsage is wrong, or at least inaccurate.
- Instead of over-analyzing the process already followed, it may make sense to take a breather, wipe out everything and start fropm scratch. This is evben mor effective when someone else does it, offering a fresh approach and possibly not repeating the same mistakes.
- Finally, the issue at hand: if you do not define db_unique_name parameter in the standnby instance, you will receive ORA-304 during instance startup.
Hope this was helpful. Happy New Year, everybody.